Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Socotra ; A Hidden Planet With In Our Planet

We invest billions and billions on space exploration where as there are places in our own planet , planet earth that seems to be from another planet , another from world and Socotra is among these places.
The first time I read and know about Socotra , the small Yemeni island or rather archipelago was in the top 10 strangest places in the world at “Creative World” blog and since then I began to search and read more about Socotra till it has become among my top 10 places I want to visit in the Arab world.
From Wadi Diksam by Alistar Lyon
Socotra seems to be like that island of hit TV series “Lost” , in fact it looks more mysterious with its trees and plants that look as if there were from faraway planet  or its famous Halah cave or its beautiful beaches. UNESCO declared this wonderful place an a world natural heritage site
I think it is a bless of God that archipelago was forgotten due to political reasons in the area by tourism companies.
During my search I found out that this huge beautiful land also produces something very ugly : The Socotra poison which is extracted from its plants , I have read and heard about this poison before but I did not know where it came from , I thought it was its name. This deadly poison was often used in secret services’ assassinations in the past century 
To read more about the hidden planet in a plant especially the conditions of its people , that mix of Yemeni and Somali ethnics I recommend that you read this blog “ Stories from Socotra
Photos from amazing Socotra : 
By Diana DRZ
By Martin Sojka
By Osama El-Eryani
By Jan Vandorpe

By Sallam
The Socotra mega slide show




A little video from there
Socotra - The Lost Island by Jillise
Links :

2 comments:

  1. Dear Zenobia, Socotra is indeed a very strange island. I heard it is forbidden to visit it for 6 monthes per year, because of weather conditions, to which fauna and flora ara adapted while humans are not.
    I met once someone who was doing a PhD about Yemen History, she told me it is a place you cannot even imagine it exists, and so strange that you are afraid it is reality.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.