You may have heard that Google has launched a Wikipedia competitor called Knol and that in no time there was an Arabic version of Knol for the Arabic users to contribute in and to use.
I use Arabic Wikipedia a lot and even got an account there because from time to time I find some silly mistakes need to be corrected. Anyone who uses the English Wikipedia and Arabic Wikipedia will notice the huge difference between them.The Arabic Wikipedia got more than 50,000 articles only , which is modest content compared to the population,needs of the region and the original Wikipedia. This makes me so sad because I think if we only concentrate on our culture,on our history and our famous personalities from the Gulf to the Ocean we will need more than 50,000 articles.
The problem in Arabic Wikipedia that some people think it is a sort of opinion arena not as neutral place to share an information.I know that even in English Wikipedia you will find that some articles are biased to its writers’ views still not like us.
Also you got the Copy/Paste problem some people think it is much easier to copy and paste from other Websites to the Wikipedia with no respect to the Copyrights.
Recently I visited by accident the Arabic Knol and I was surprised to find there many contributors , of course I was more surprised by the medical content in the site as featured articles. It seems that some people prefer Knol over Wikipedia because in short time many people joined Knol and in this short time I found strange articles I do not know why they are there !!
With my all respect I prefer Wikipedia over Knol because Wikipedia is really an encyclopedia with all its cons,Knol is more like about.com and it is even worse , already at least those who write in about.com are experts. I found opinion articles in Knol , if you want to share your share your opinion then get a blog ,this is the knowledge Unit as Google likes to call it .
Look I wish that many Arabs join Wikipedia and Knol but join it to share their knowledge for real with the rest of the World as it should be.
we can do it.
One of my wishes is that the time many young people waste on the Internet in silly stuff ,they would use in filling the emptiness of the Arabic wikipedia and Knol as it should be.
By Year , By Month
- ► 2016 ( 266 )
- ► 2015 ( 345 )
- ► 2014 ( 312 )
- ► 2013 ( 512 )
- ► 2012 ( 683 )
- ► 2011 ( 953 )
- ► 2010 ( 1092 )
- ► 2009 ( 1159 )
- They are still our men
- How Suzanne was killed
- Cairo tower in Ramadan
- The departure of a secrets keeper
- Our men
- Breaking News: The hostages are free
- An Egyptian was honoured in the White House yester...
- Tina did it again
- Breaking News : The Sudanese army attacked the abd...
- Ibrahim Eissa .. it started in Ramadan and it ende...
- Breaking News : Ibrahim Eissa to Jail for two mont...
- Because there is still some beauty in this world ....
- Leave the execution law alone
- Another Breaking news : A fire in the national the...
- Breaking News : Al Mansoura is heading back home.
- When Gamila meets Sarah
- Where are the hostages then ??
- Sarah Palin Disney Film
- A Blast in Syria
- On the holy night
- Businessmen’s edition
- Al Zowahary latest release !!
- Now they moved to Libya
- This is Ahmed Fouad
- The annual Israeli feasts warning
- The hostages updates
- Another rockslide at Doweiqa
- The Egyptian victim in Pakistan latest bombing
- I will not say No but ....
- They are some where in Sudan !!
- It will be an insult to Nobel Prize
- Breaking news : A group of tourists were kidnapped...
- A Message to Mubarak “As if he were going to liste...
- The turn is on the Daily News Egypt
- A possible Return of the H5N1
- A Cairo University Graduate could be the first Wom...
- El-Sadr : The missing Emam
- Dear American Voter
- The Arab American Voters can make difference
- Wrong kind of Jihad
- Again it is the captain's fault !!??
- The Witch is back
- Jesus was against torture
- It happens all the time
- The Circus of freaks and clowns
- Today in History : The first Egyptian Railway
- Questions need to be answered in Suzanne Tamim aff...
- What is happening in Syria ??
- Saving Hatshepsut’s grandsons
- I can't believe it is blogger
- Al Doweiqa anger
- The heroes of Egypt are still honoring us at Beiji...
- Tina Fay as Sarah Palin
- Farouk and Exile : Last Impression
- Stupid silly game
- The language of Numbers : The suicide Rate in Egyp...
- Egyptian X-Files : Who killed Ashraf Marwan ?? The...
- Interesting ad at interesting timing
- Sarah Palin’s first TV interview
- A Salute to our heroes in Beijing
- Naguib Sawiris on Charlie Rose’s Show
- The big surprises are starting from now
- The Doweiqa people revolution
- On the 10th of Ramadan : Abu Ghazala , he was a fi...
- Next there will be a little China Town.
- Arabic Knol and Arabic Wikipedia
- She will be back , Wait for her
- Mohsen El-Sokary’s photo
- To help the Doweiqa victims
- Italian Compensation and American visit : There is...
- The latest death toll of Al Doweiqa rockslide
- The fire of the NDP HQ in Asuit
- I swear to God that it is a hoax
- Like Father like Son
- It was too good to be true
- Latest updates about the Al Doweiqa
- More updates from Al Doweiqa rockslide
- The grandson of Ihsan Abd El-Koddous was arrested ...
- Tragedy in Doweiqa ,they need your prayers
- The last interview for Hisham Talaat Mustafa on TV...
- They met ….in the other world !!??
- What do you expect from them??
- Has anyone seen Badr !!?
- what about Ezz??
- From Sarah with love !!
- Mohamed Farid Khamis to lose some of his immunity
- It is Piper Palin’s turn now
- Follow Up : The electric shock stick girl revealed...
- Another stupid rumour: Genpets
- Emaar is bigger than that
- The Witches Convention
- What is going on ?
- Hisham Talaat Mustafa : A short bio
- Diddy declares the war against McCain
- Sarah Palin and US
- Hisham Talaat Mustafa is officially arrested for T...
- The door is broken
- Fight over the Nile
- Read how Israel deliberately forgets its history
- Ramadan Karim
- ▼ September ( 100 )
- ► 2007 ( 651 )
- ► 2006 ( 512 )
- ► 2005 ( 242 )
Egypt Citizen Journalism Politics Media National Democracy Follow Up photos Arab Human rights Video Society National Security Egyptian Life Culture Israel Economy America History Regional Arts Post Revolution Egyptian Faces Religion International Women Palestine War #Jan25 Egyptian Army Geek Syria Africa Health Islam Lebanon Europe Elections nostalgia MB Great Cairo blogging 1001 Environment Egyptian History Trials Egyptian X-files Presidential elections 2011 Minorities Nature Terrorism Audio Sports Gulf Just Opinion Spy Presidency Iraq News Books Films Party of parties Iran Maghreb Letter from the editor Sudan Arabic faces Music Breaking News In the wind's direction Sinai Egyptian Royalty Corruption Elections 2012 Asia Numbers 1973 1967 Caucasus Turk Bloggers Parliament Egyptian Constitution Tourism Alexandria Live Blogging Upper Egypt Daily World Links Polls 1952 Arabic X-Files Canal Cities Suez War Cablegate Nile Delta Aswan Laila Photo Of The Week Egyptian Rumours Happy Yemen Laws Red Sea 1948 The Quote of Week Charity Salam 98 Pakistan African Faces Yemen Personal Reviews Communiques UAR Highlighted Comments Matrouh Travel EC Interviews Nubia SS gate Weather Fayoum Latino Must Read Switch the Channel Wise Words Leaks South America Government Jordan Test Asian Faces Ideas Infographs Odd Tweet of the Day